Understanding Your Workers’ Compensation Rights
At Robinson Salyers, PLLC, in Shelbyville and Frankfort, Kentucky, we offer skilled legal representation to assert and preserve your workers’ compensation rights. Our attorneys understand Kentucky workers’ compensation fully. We are here to protect your rights and work toward securing the benefits you and your family need.
Your Workers’ Compensation Rights
- Your benefits: You are entitled to full payment of all medical bills related to the work injury for life, lost wages while you are off work and compensation for any permanent disability. Other benefits include vocational retraining and the right to reopen your case if your injury worsens.
- If someone else was at fault: You may have a third-party claim in addition to your workers’ compensation claim if someone other than you or your employer was at fault. The most common examples are work injuries that occur in an auto accident, but can occur in a variety of other scenarios.
- The right to due process: You can always file a lawsuit if an employer or insurer is delaying or denying your claim. Such lawsuits are filed with Kentucky Board of Workers’ Claims and are heard by an administrative law judge. These claims can be much quicker and more efficient than a traditional lawsuit. You even have a right to appeal to a higher court.
- Lost wages: You are entitled to be paid during recovery while you cannot physically perform your job. If your employer cannot accommodate your restrictions while you are healing and getting treated, you are still entitled to be paid.
- Your job: While Kentucky workers’ compensation law does not protect or “hold” your job, you may be entitled to significant additional benefits if you lose your job as a result of your work injury.
- Retaliation: If your employer retaliates against you for making a workers’ compensation claim or attempts to intimidate you in order to keep you from doing so, you may have an additional claim against your employer.